Suganob calls on Boholanos for support in world title eliminator rematch

CEBU CITY, Philippines — WBO and IBF world junior flyweight top contender Regie “Filipino Phenom” Suganob is leaving no stone unturned as he prepares for his highly anticipated rematch with former world champion Sivenathi Nontshinga on Sept. 12 in Tagbilaran City, Bohol.

With fight night fast approaching, Suganob has intensified his training at the PMI Bohol Boxing Stable in Taloto, Tagbilaran City. He has also been sparring with boxers outside the stable who can replicate Nontshinga’s style, giving him a closer look at what to expect from the South African.

In an interview with CDN Digital, Suganob said he had been preparing for more than six months, having continued his training immediately after his unanimous-decision victory over South African Siphamandla Baleni last February.

“Kaning umaabot nga dula nako karong September 12, grabe jud akong pagpangandam ani. Continue ra gyud akong training adto pagkahuman nako sa dula ni Baleni pag February. Almost six months na akoang preparation ani nga umaabot nga dula,” Suganob said.

(My coming fight this September 12, I have really prepared for this. I continued my training after my fight with Baleni last February. My preparation in this upcoming fight is already almost six months.)

The Filipino is also carrying an important lesson from his first encounter with Nontshinga in 2023 in South Africa. The bout marked the first time Suganob had been knocked down in his professional career, although he eventually lost by unanimous decision in his first world title challenge.

“Kadtong natumba ko sa una namong fight, big lesson jud to nako kay first time jud ko natumba sa ako-ang boxing career,” said Suganob.

(When I got knocked down in our fight, it really was a big lesson to me because it was first time that I got knocked down in my boxing career.)

The loss, however, has fueled his desire for redemption. Suganob expressed his gratitude to his manager, Lawyer Floriezyl Podot, and PMI Bohol Boxing Promotions for bringing Nontshinga to his home province for the main event of “Kumong Bol-Anon 26” at Bohol Wisdom School.

“Una dako kaayo ko og pasalamat sa akong manager nga si Atty. Floriezyl Podot ug sa PMI Promotions nga nadala namo ang dula dinhi sa Bohol. Dako kaayo ko og pagdasig sa akong kaugalingon karon nga dula kay grabe akong pagpangandam ani ug grabe ang suporta sad sa mga Boholano ug Filipino boxing fans,” Suganob said.

(First, I am really grateful to my manager, Atty. Florizyl Podot and the PMI Promotions because they managed to bring the fight here in Bohol. I am really confident in myself in this fight because I have really prepared for this and I am supported by the Boholanos and Filipino boxing fans.)

READ: Fajardo eyes title shot vs Japanese champ

More than redemption will be at stake for Suganob. He considers the rematch one of, if not the most important fight of his career, with a victory potentially earning him a mandatory IBF world title shot against reigning champion Thanongsak Simsri of Thailand.

Knowing the magnitude of the opportunity, Suganob is calling on his fellow Boholanos and boxing fans to pack the venue and cheer for him.

“Sa mga Boholanos ug sa mga tagasuporta nako, kani dulaa importante kaayo ni nako kay title eliminator ni. Kinsay modaog ani mochallenge sa world champion,” Suganob said.

(To the Boholanos and my supporters, this fight is really important to me because this is a title eliminator. Who wins in this fight will challenge the world champion.)

“Sa mga tagaBohol ug sa mahiligon og boxing, ako-a kamo giimbitar nga motan-aw sa umaabot nako nga dula,” he said.

(To those from Bohol and those who are into boxing, we are inviting you to watch my coming fight.)

“Inyohang suporta dako kaayo na nga tabang para nako. Madasig ko og samot nga daugon ni nga dula kung naa mo nga mosuporta nako,” Suganob said.

(Your support is a big help for me. I will be further encouraged to win my fight if there are people who would support me.)

Suganob owns an 18-1 record with seven knockouts and has won five straight since suffering his lone professional defeat to Nontshinga in 2023.

Nontshinga, meanwhile, is coming off a knockout victory over fellow South African Sunday Kiwale last November, his first win since losing the IBF world light flyweight title to Masamichi Yabuki in Japan in 2024.

Disclaimer: The comments uploaded on this site do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of management and owner of Cebudailynews. We reserve the right to exclude comments that we deem to be inconsistent with our editorial standards.