(ATTN: UPDATES with details, background; REVISES headline)
SEOUL, Aug. 18 (Yonhap) -- Justice Minister Jung Sung-ho submitted his resignation letter to Cheong Wa Dae on Tuesday, sources said, citing the completion of legislation on stripping the prosecution of investigative authority.
In the letter also submitted to the Ministry of Personnel Management, Jung reportedly cited health issues in addition to the legislation's recent passage, saying the new criminal justice system should be completed under new leadership, according to the sources.
The minister had expressed concerns about the revision to the Criminal Procedure Act, which stripped the prosecution of its remaining authority to conduct supplementary investigations in the event police investigations were inadequate, leaving it mainly with the ability to indict.
Shortly after the bill passed, he told reporters the new system could require additional revisions if it leads to further harm or inadequate protection for crime victims.
Jung had previously expressed his intention to resign, which reportedly was discouraged, if not rejected, by President Lee Jae Myung.
hague@yna.co.kr
(END)
- BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- Actor Park Eun-bin to release album marking 30-year career
-
Ha Young says 'sincerely sorry' over great-grandfather's pro-Japanese past
-
BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
-
(2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
(LEAD) Trump says N. Korea's Kim has responded to his dialogue overture
- Presidential office expects N. Korea-U.S. leaders' friendship to lead to dialogue
- (3rd LD) Trump orders Pentagon to 'substantially' reduce S. Korea-U.S. military exercises
- Son Heung-min's MLS scoring streak snapped at 4 matches
- (2nd LD) Pentagon says it is 'actively working on executing' Trump's directive on S. Korea-U.S. military drills