Celebrities sound off on recurring floods, traffic due to habagat: Wake up!
From being stuck in traffic for hours to wading through floodwaters and struggling to get home, celebrities aired their frustrations over the severe flooding and traffic that disrupted Metro Manila on Monday, Aug. 17, as heavy rains brought by the southwest monsoon, or habagat, battered the capital.
Among them was actress Thea Tolentino, who called on Filipinos to pay closer attention to the country’s recurring problems and become more discerning voters.
“Nakita ko lahat ng posts ngayong araw tungkol sa baha, mga bahay na lumubog, malalang traffic, at mga taong hindi makauwi. Hindi nga dapat normal ang ganito. NAKAKAGALIT,” she said.
Article continues after this advertisement
Tolentino noted that similar situations have happened repeatedly over the years and questioned when the country would see progress, “Kailan ba tayo uunlad?” she said. “UTANG NA LOOB. GUMISING NA KAYO.”
Tolentino further urged Filipinos to use social media to research political candidates and examine their records before voting.
“Hindi naman kailangang pare-pareho tayo ng iboto,” she expressed. “Hindi sapat ang apelyido, alyansa, o mga pangako. Dapat alam natin kung BAKIT natin sila ibinoboto. Satin din magsisimula ang pagbabago.”
More celebrities document experience
Actor Jon Lucas, meanwhile, shared a video from inside his car as he remained stuck in traffic while rain poured around him.
Article continues after this advertisement
“Can’t be mad! Alam ko mas maraming nahahassle na nasa labas din ngayon. Praying for your safety guys!” he wrote.
The Kapuso actor acknowledged that many people had been delayed or forced to cancel plans because of the weather.
Article continues after this advertisement
“Maraming na-late, hindi natuloy sa pupuntahan, maraming na-cancel na mahalagang ganap pero once makauwi kayo ng maayos yun na ang mas mahalaga today ok?” he said.
Actor Vince Maristela, on the other hand, shared a video of himself walking through floodwaters.
“Mas mabilis maglakad kesa sumakay sa kotse,” he said, before showing the flooded street and remarking, “Tignan niyo naman oh, ang lala.”
Comedian Betong Sumaya also documented the flooding at the Quezon Avenue MRT station.
“Ang tindi, Panginoon,” Sumaya said in his video. “Parang nasa ocean ka, hindi ako makaakyat dito, mag MRT sana ako.”
Pokwang also found herself caught in the traffic while making her way to the awarding ceremony of the 22nd Cinemalaya Philippine Independent Film Festival.
“3 hours na kami sa daan! Aabot kaya ako sa awards night ng Cinemalaya?” the comedian-actress wrote while sharing a video from inside her car.
Pokwang eventually made it to the awards ceremony and went on to win the Best Actress award, which she shared with Ruby Ruiz.
The celebrities’ posts came as heavy habagat rains caused widespread flooding and traffic disruptions across Metro Manila on Monday.
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), citing Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) data, recorded 201.7 millimeters of rain in Metro Manila from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, causing flooding in several areas and severe traffic on major roads.
As of Tuesday morning, Aug. 18, some areas in Metro Manila had seen floodwaters recede. /edv