Residents of Ikangba community in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State have appealed to Governor Dapo Abiodun to urgently intervene in an alleged land-grabbing crisis, warning that continued harassment may lead to loss of lives.
The community members made the appeal on Monday during a press briefing held in Abeokuta, the state capital.
Secretary of the Oluweri Osundekun/Yeye-Imule family descendants of Ijebu-Ode, Prince Olufemi Oluleye said they were under threat from alleged land grabbers who, he claimed, were using security personnel to intimidate residents and seize ancestral land.
According to him, the situation escalated to the point where two indigenes were arrested and detained at the Departement of State Servies, DSS, office in Abeokuta.
“However, following a proper review of the matter and the presentation of documentary evidence supporting the position of the community, the two indigenes were released,” he stated.
Oluleye noted that the Director of the DSS, after hearing from both parties, warned those behind the dispute to desist from actions capable of disturbing the peace.
According to him, the State Commissioner of Police also reportedly intervened and similarly warned the alleged land grabbers to stay away from the disputed land.
He said despite these interventions the harassment had continued.
“We have received continuous reports of maiming and sporadic shooting on the land, creating an atmosphere of fear among members of the community.
“We have further established, from the information available to us, that the alleged land grabbers enjoy the backing of the Idowa traditional institution, especially the King, the Dagburewe of Idowa, Oba Sikiru Kayode Adefuwape, who, obviously, has contributed to the persistence of the crisis.
“We are not here to prejudge anyone or to take the place of the courts or security agencies. Our demand is simple: let the law prevail. The people of Ikangba should not be made refugees on their own ancestral land.”
“We call on all parties to sheathe their swords and allow the competent authorities to determine the ownership and status of the land through lawful means.
“But while that process is ongoing, nobody should be allowed to enter the land with guns, threaten the people, maim anyone or engage in sporadic shooting,” Oluleye pleaded.
He further disclosed that petitions had already been submitted to the State Anti-Land Grabbing Task Force and other security agencies, while an appeal had also been made to the governor.
Meanwhile, the community leaders also appealed to the leadership of the DSS and the Nigeria Police Force to ensure that their officers were not used as instruments in private land disputes.
“Our message today is a plea for peace, justice and protection. We do not want anybody killed.
“We do not want violence. We simply want the people of Ikangba to live peacefully and enjoy their legitimate property without intimidation,” they added.