All mechanised fishing boats will indefinitely abstain from venturing into the sea for fishing from August 30 in support of their charter of demands, including immediate release of fishing boats seized and fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan navy.
A resolution to this effect was passed by All Mechanised Fishermen Association at a consultative meeting, led by its president, V.P. Sesuraja, on Tuesday.
Besdies, the fishermen will begin a relay hunger strike at Thangachimadam on September 1 till their demands are met.
The resolution said that three fishing boats, including the one that drifted towards Neduntheevu in Sri Lanka, had been seized and 29 fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan navy since July 22.
Tamil Nadu government should impress upon the Centre to recover the seized boats and secure the release of fishermen, the resolution said.
Tamil Nadu government should immediately give compensation to fishermen who were left out, after their boats were seized or sunk by Sri Lankan navy, the association said .
The Centre and the State government should make efforts to convene talks between fishermen and officials of India and Sri Lanka to find a permanent solution to the frequent arrest of Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan navy.
The association said that Tamil Nadu government had stopped providing concession for diesel and permits for fishing boats whose worn-out wooden frames have been replaced with fibre. Considering the livelihood of the fishing community, the State government should extend those benefits to fishermen of Rameswaram harbour as given to fishermen of other fishing harbours.
Published - August 18, 2026 05:41 pm IST