Trump posts map with Hormuz as ‘new US territory’, says no Iran talks planned

This is not the first time the US president, faced with a foreign policy obstacle, has threatened to annex foreign territory

US President Donald Trump said that Tuesday that no talks with Iran were under way or scheduled, as he posted a map showing the Strait of Hormuz as a new American territory in a fresh jibe at Tehran.

Trump has been pressing his threat to claim sovereignty over the crucial energy waterway as the nearly six-month-old Iran war grinds on with little sign of resolution.

Trump’s envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner had said on Monday that the United States and Iran were having “very positive and active conversations”, but the president denied that was the case.

“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect,” Trump wrote on social media on Tuesday.

“The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated.”

US sources said there had been “positive” discussions with the Iranians, but added that Trump had decided to wait and asked his team not to engage until Iran was ready to make a deal.