(ATTN: RECASTS headline, lead; ADDS details throughout, byline)

By Kim Seung-yeon

SEOUL, Aug. 19 (Yonhap) -- South Korea and the United States are scaling down their annual combined exercise that kicked off earlier this week at Washington's request, with the scheduled field training also set to be reduced, South Korea's military said Wednesday.

The allies agreed to cut short the Ulchi Freedom Shield (UFS) exercise to Friday, paring down the drills period almost by half, Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a release. The UFS was scheduled to run from Aug. 17-27.

Field training exercises, a core part of the drills, will also be reduced to some extent, with discussions under way between the two militaries to decide on the detailed plans, the JCS said.

The Combined Forces Command (CFC), the allies' joint military headquarters leading the exercise, is already conducting the exercise out of two separate command posts -- at the wartime CP Tango bunker in Seongnam and at Camp Humphreys, the main U.S. base in Pyeongtaek, 53 kilometers south of the capital -- the JCS added.

Camp Humphreys serves as the CFC's peacetime headquarters. Having split the command posts reflects the readjustment in the scope of the UFS.

"South Korea and the United States agreed to discuss and carry out various measures going forward to achieve the objectives of the UFS exercise and establish a robust combined defense posture," the JCS said.

The announcement comes after U.S. President Donald Trump called for "substantially" scaling down joint South Korea-U.S. military drills in a social media post on Sunday (U.S. time), citing a cost burden and his good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

The U.S. Defense Department said earlier it was "actively" working to execute Trump's directive on the allies' military exercises.

Signs of adjustments to the schedule emerged Tuesday as U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) Commander Gen. Xavier Brunson, who doubles as the CFC commander, made an unannounced visit to the defense ministry in Seoul for a meeting with Defense Minister Ahn Gyu-back.

The UFS is mainly conducted on two tracks -- a simulation-based command post exercise and a large-scale field training exercise. The allies said earlier they had planned to carry out 14 field maneuvers at the battalion level or above this year, down from 17 conducted last year.

The allies have reportedly canceled the second half of the exercise, which is based on counterattack scenarios against enemy aggression. The UFS is primarily designed to train for contingencies against North Korea.

The allies scaled back their joint drills in 2019 during Trump's first term, when the high-stakes nuclear diplomacy with Pyongyang was at its peak.

North Korea has decried the allies' exercises as rehearsals for invasion and conducted its own weapons tests in apparent protest.

Wednesday's announcement comes amid growing speculation for a resumption of dialogue between Trump and Kim.

The Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday that Trump is pushing for another in-person meeting with Pyongyang's reclusive leader this fall, possibly during his trip to China where he is scheduled to attend the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit.

elly@yna.co.kr

(END)

  • BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour
  • N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
  • (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
  • Actor Park Eun-bin to release album marking 30-year career
  • Ha Young says 'sincerely sorry' over great-grandfather's pro-Japanese past

  • BTS' V reveals hearing loss, Jungkook performs through shin injury on world tour

  • N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
  • Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
  • (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
  • (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program

  • (LEAD) Trump says N. Korea's Kim has responded to his dialogue overture

  • Death penalty sought for woman accused of killing 2 men with laced drinks
  • (2nd LD) Lee reaffirms push to retake wartime operational control of troops during his term
  • (LEAD) Seoul in close consultation with U.S. over combined military exercises: security adviser
  • (LEAD) USFK commander visits defense ministry after Trump's order to reduce joint exercise with S. Korea