Atletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has confirmed that he will bench star striker and Arsenal target Julian Alvarez for their LaLiga opener on Wednesday as he remains locked in a transfer dispute over his future. Alvarez is pushing to join Barcelona this summer and reports in Spain seem to confirm that would be his likely destination despite interest from Premier League champions Arsenal. However, Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin saying the club would not even accept €200m for the former Manchester City forward.
Manchester City face a price hike if they are to sign Enzo Fernandez from Chelsea. City are still interested in signing Fernandez despite missing Chelsea’s Friday deadline for offers, but now face paying much more than the £120m the Blues were demanding last week. City, meanwhile, are to sign 18-year-old midfielder Ayyoub Bouaddi for £85m after selling Ballon d’Or winner Rodri to Barcelona in a deal worth up to £65m.
Elsewhere, Manchester United are set to reject an audacious approach from Galatasaray for their captain Bruno Fernandes. The Turkish club are determined to sign a star this summer and are lining up a comprehensive financial package that would have doubled the 31-year-old midfielder’s salary, but United’s stance is that Fernandes is not for sale.
Liverpool had reportedly agreed terms with Paris Saint-Germain forward Ibrahim Mbaye but new rumours say they are moving away from the 18-year-old though their interest in teammate Bradely Barcola remains. Both Mbaye, 18, and France international Barcola were left out of PSG’s squad for the French Super Cup on Sunday. The European champions were set to demand £145m for Barcola, who is also wanted by Arsenal, but Liverpool are prepared to play the long-game as they bid to negotiate a price.
Follow all of the latest news, rumours and done deals below
Harry Kane set to open contract talks with Bayern Munich
Harry Kane is “relaxed” about his contract situation at Bayern Munich with both parties set to open discussions over the next couple of weeks.
Kane, 33, has entered the final 12 months of his deal at Bayern and the England captain expects talks to begin soon over extending.
“The talks will begin this week or next,” he said, according to Bild. “We will start the discussions, and as I've already said, we're relaxed.
“I think they're relaxed about the situation as well. Now is obviously the time to start talks, since we only have a year left. That's important.
“But both sides are relaxed, and I'm quite sure that talks will take place this week or next."
Wolves make move for Brighton winger
Wolves have made an enquiry for Brighton winger Amario Cozier-Duberry according to *Sky Sports News. *
They reported yesterday that Brighton had rejected a £7.5m bid for Cozier-Duberry from Rangers so Wolves’ potential bid will need to be higher than that.
Several other Championship clubs are also said to be monitoring his situation.
Newcastle sign right back Amar Dedic
Newcastle United have completed the signing of right back Amar Dedic from Benfica for around £30m. The Bosnia and Herzegovina international, who featured at this summer’s World Cup, becomes Newcastle’s first signing under Matthias Jaissle. The pair previously worked together at Red Bull Salzburg.
The 24-year-old Decic becomes Newcastle’s sixth signing of the summer and could be brought straight into the team that faces Liverpool in their Premier League opener on Sunday, with Tino Livramento still sidelined following the injury that ruled him out of the World Cup.
Virgil van Dijk: Liverpool's new-look central defence will take time to gel
Virgil van Dijk accepts it will take time to build a connection with new signings Jeremy Jacquet and Ronald Araujo after Liverpool’s central defence received a summer overhaul.
The departure of Ibrahima Konate after an indifferent season in which he played the majority of games alongside Van Dijk in their disappointing Premier League title defence and ongoing fitness issues with Joe Gomez and Giovani Leoni meant the club had to act to improve an area of weakness.
A £60m deal for Jacquet was agreed at the end of the winter transfer window, but he immediately sustained a season-ending injury and so his first appearance for his new club was delayed until Sunday’s 2-0 friendly win over Como.
Why Arsenal’s Community Shield victory over Man City is so ominous for title rivals
The Premier League champions won the Community Shield in a statement display in Cardiff, giving Mikel Arteta an early-season triumph while condemning new City boss Enzo Maresca to defeat in his first game in charge.
Harry Kane set for Bayern Munich contract talks after entering final year of his deal
Harry Kane is prepared to open discussions with Bayern Munich over a contract extension with the reigning Bundesliga champions.
The England captain has entered the final 12 months of the original four-year agreement he signed after transferring from Tottenham Hotspur for £86.4 million back in August 2023.
'An exciting moment’: Scotland confirm Sebastien Pocognoli as Steve Clarke replacement
Sebastien Pocognoli has been confirmed as the new Scotland head coach.
The former Union Saint-Gilloise and Monaco head coach has signed an initial two-year contract to succeed Steve Clarke.
Pocognoli, a former Belgium international, led Union to the 2024-25 Belgian title in his first season as a head coach.
Liam Delap attracting more attention ahead of deadline
Liam Delap could be available for around £50m this summer and the Chelsea forward will have no shortage of suitors.
Teamtalk report that Everton lead the chase for the 23-year-old, with Nottingham Forest and Newcastle also on the radar. Italian side Como, who will be playing Champions League next season, have also been linked with the striker.
Chelsea have brought in Danny Welbeck to support Joao Pedro this season, with opportunities for Delap set to be limited.
Harry Maguire wants Marcus Rashford to stay at Manchester United
Marcus Rashford made his first appearance for Manchester United in 20 months after returning to Michael Carrick’s side for their final pre-season fixture against AC Milan, but his Old Trafford future remains unclear.
“Obviously the transfer window is still open. As players, we hope he stays because if he does, he is a big asset to have. He can improve us for sure," defender Harry Maguire said after the loss to Milan.
“You saw when he came on, he threatened the backline really well. He could have scored. He's a huge threat. I've played with Marcus for numerous years and I know that playing against him `and playing with him in training is going to help us.”
Martin Odegaard ready to get back to his best at Arsenal
Martin Odegaard has described how last season’s struggle with injury has made him stronger.
Odegaard lifted the Premier League trophy in May – his first silverware since he joined Arsenal in 2021 – but it was often a difficult campaign on a personal note with knee, shoulder and muscle problems limiting his role.
The Norway midfielder made just 16 league starts and missed the Carabao Cup final loss to Manchester City, a defeat Arsenal avenged on Sunday by winning the Community Shield season curtain-raiser 3-0.
“Last year was really a big struggle with a lot of difficult moments,” Odegaard said after capping an outstanding individual display in Cardiff with his first club goal since December.“
It is the worst thing for a footballer to not be able to be on the pitch and I had quite a lot of weird injuries, and bad luck.
“It was good for me to end the season with a title here and then a good World Cup. Then I had my break and I feel good, ready to go again.
“Last season, to miss so many games because of injury was really frustrating. What I have just worked on is to use that as motivation for this year and to come back stronger.
“To use all of those experiences in a positive way. Hopefully I can do that.”