Australia’s Governor-General Sam Mostyn has said she is shocked and troubled by the alleged sexual assault investigation that has engulfed the Sydney Swans while warning that a lack of respect for women across the country remained a problem, particularly in sport.

In a rare intervention from a head of state, Mostyn said that sports clubs and the community in general needed to be vigilant about women’s treatment while noting Australia still had “appalling statistics” when it came to domestic and sexual violence against women.

Five Sydney Swans players were on Wednesday suspended for the rest of the season for breach of club behavioural standards as Victoria Police started investigating separate conduct of an allegation of sexual assault from Sunday night. A woman provided a written complaint to city police on Tuesday afternoon, although no charges have yet been laid.

“I was shocked and troubled by the allegation of sexual assault … stemming from the weekend in Melbourne,” Ms Mostyn said, in comments first reported by the ABC on Wednesday evening.

“At times like this, we are reminded to never take for granted the need for constant vigilance for respectful treatment of women everywhere; across clubs, the AFL, sport, and the community generally.

“The most important thing in moments like this is to fully accept responsibility, be accountable and take appropriate action.”

Mostyn, a prominent businesswoman, became the first female member of the AFL commission in 2005 and joined the Swans board in 2017. She resigned from that position when Prime Minister Anthony Albanese appointed her as Australia’s 28th governor-general in 2024.

She has commented on gender equality issues since taking the role, after a corporate career that often highlighted women’s issues. Last month, Mostyn publicly backed quotas to install more women in senior roles. However, she has typically refrained from discussing controversies or sensitive matters that are open to investigation, and it is extremely rare for a governor-general to comment on such issues.

Mostyn said her thoughts were with the woman who made the sexual assault allegation, and that she hoped she was being supported.

“I am also devastated for the women of the Swans, whether they are players, staff, fans and everyone involved in the club and women across the industry who have been hurt by this incident,” she said.

“Sadly, the lack of respect for women across the country remains an issue for us all to be concerned about, particularly in sport. We must all, men and women, constantly strive for respect for everyone, to educate our youngest players and fans, and that responsibility to educate is held by so many; administrators, leaders and players of the sport, all of whom shape culture.

“I note Australia still has appalling statistics when it comes to domestic and sexual violence against women.”

Mostyn said she believed great progress had been made to make sure women were represented in sport, particularly in women’s leagues.

“We have seen this magnificent and timely inclusion and celebration of women across our football codes, and today, little boys and girls know women are welcome and respected across our sporting landscape,” she said.

But she said Australia needed to “remain committed to bringing more women into positions of influence in the AFL and all sports”, citing her own experience of joining the AFL commission as instructive in demonstrating why it was important to bring a woman’s perspective to the game.

“We need more women inside the game, from coaching, administration, leadership and governance. And that’s also across all sport. The more diverse and representative people are in club culture and sports culture, the greater confidence we can have in safe places for women, and everyone,” she said.

Mostyn said she had committed herself “to put care, kindness and respect at the centre of my work when I became governor-general”.

“I believe that is what most Australians want all our leaders and role models to show; that everyone can feel respected, welcome and safe in any workplace, sporting, or community context,” she said.

“But again we must ensure that women are present and valued for their insights, experience and contribution to establishing respectful environments, at all levels of leadership, coaching, administration. Sport must be a safe place for everybody. Particularly women in the football codes.

“We all have a duty to call out bad behaviour whenever we see it and always encourage and teach what respectful behaviour requires of us all.”

Social Services Minister Tanya Plibersek on Wednesday afternoon said she did not want to speak about individual cases, but said sporting codes should know how powerful their voices were.

“I want to be very careful not to speak about any of the allegations or investigations underway in specific terms … I don’t want to prejudice any potential investigation,” she said on the ABC.

“I’d say a few things in general terms. Sporting codes, teams like the Swans have an incredibly important role in our community. They are the people who boys and young men look up to, they’re their heroes, they’re role models. And I am really pleased to hear some of the measures that the club’s taken today.

“I think it is important to show that sporting clubs, schools, other institutions take allegations of sexual assault seriously. It is really important that in any discussion we centre victims and survivors of sexual assault. And hearing the club take strong measures is a really important step forward.”

The Swans released a statement on behalf of Isaac Heeney, Chad Warner, Nick Blakey, James Jordon and Riley Bice on Wednesday evening.

“We are deeply sorry to everyone involved. We know that our behaviour has fallen well short of the standards expected of us and the values of our club,” the statement read.

“We know we have let down our partners and families, members, supporters, teammates, the AFLW team, corporate partners and everyone at the club and the wider community. We accept the club sanction and apologise for the impact this has had on those involved. Our focus will now be on rebuilding trust with the club and the community.”