Former Wimbledon finalist Nick Kyrgios was provisionally suspended from tennis on Wednesday after testing positive for cocaine, with the outspoken Australian acknowledging what he called a “huge mistake” in a public apology.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) announced the suspension of the 31-year-old after a sample collected during an ATP 250 event in Mallorca in June tested positive for benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
Kyrgios, who reached a career-high No. 13 in the rankings, has been provisionally suspended since Aug. 4 after a World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited laboratory confirmed the presence of the banned stimulant on July 17.
“I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it,” Kyrgios said on Instagram.
“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets, and I’m deeply disappointed in myself.”
Cocaine is classified as a stimulant and substance of abuse on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s Prohibited List and is banned in competition under tennis’ anti-doping rules.
Kyrgios said he made no excuses but described the mental toll of recent injuries and the challenges of nearing the end of his career.
“I do want to give some context about where I’ve been. The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally,” he added.
“My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.
“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis, tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.”
Kyrgios, a Wimbledon finalist in 2022, has been unable to recapture that form after a series of injury setbacks, including missing the entire 2024 season.
He has undergone wrist reconstruction and knee surgeries, playing only 10 matches since the start of 2023 as his ranking has tumbled.
His most recent appearance came at Wimbledon earlier this year, where he teamed with Alexander Bublik in the doubles draw. The pair were beaten in the opening round.
While suspended, Kyrgios cannot play in, coach at or attend any events organized by the World Tennis, WTA, ATP, Grand Slam or national associations.
Kyrgios has not appealed the provisional suspension and said he would step away from social media and public life for 28 days to “focus on getting myself right.”
“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better,” he concluded.
Kyrgios previously was vocal about doping bans, saying the cases involving Jannik Sinner and Iga Swiatek were “disgusting” for the sport while criticizing authorities over what he viewed as lenient treatment.
Sinner tested positive twice in 2024 for trace amounts of the anabolic steroid clostebol and initially received a three-month ban after reaching a settlement with the World Anti-Doping Agency. Swiatek accepted a one-month ban after testing positive for the hormone and metabolic modulator trimetazidine.
“Two world No. 1s both getting done for doping is disgusting for our sport. It’s a horrible look,” Kyrgios said at the time.
Kyrgios also revealed in 2019 that he had experienced suicidal thoughts after a second-round loss to Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon, saying he “ended up in a psych ward in London” while seeking help for his mental health struggles.