- See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source
Israel is building gallows where it plans to hang Palestinian terrorists.
It follows a law passed earlier this year mandating death by hanging for terrorism-related killings. The act only applies to Palestinians.
Israel's national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, unveiled the facility this week, with images showing the structures still under construction.
The site will include a death row wing, with gallows in the middle and viewing areas to allow the families of victims to watch executions - which Ben-Gvir said is 'customary in other countries, including the United States.'
In a video filmed at the site, Ben-Gvir said: 'I promised to worsen the conditions of terrorists in prisons. It was fully carried out. I promised to pass the death penalty law for terrorists. That's done. I promised to establish a [hanging] facility. And that's carried out.'
'We are making history,' he added. 'Terrorists deserve only one thing: death by hanging.'
However, human rights groups and legal experts have condemned what they have called a two-tier justice system, with petitioners arguing that it violates rights to life, dignity and equality.
There are currently more than 9,300 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons, according to Israeli human rights group HaMoked.
srael is building gallows where it plans to hang Palestinian terrorists. Pictured: Israel's national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, at the planned execution site
File image: Undated photograph shows blindfolded Palestinian prisoners
Some 3,200 are being held under administrative detention, a policy that allows military commanders to detain people for renewable six-month periods based on classified evidence that neither they nor their lawyers can review.
It comes just days after Ben-Gvir publicly advocated for killing '30 to 40' people in Gaza each night, in comments that surfaced last week.
The Israeli lawmaker made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage, Rom Braslavski, on Braslavski's podcast.
The two were discussing Israel's recovery from the Hamas attack of October 7, 2023, when Ben-Gvir criticised Israel's recent drawdown of strikes in Gaza.
'It's no secret, I disagree with the prime minister,' he said.
'I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night. Not just those who pose an immediate threat — there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn't live. They're not even people.'
In the past, similar statements by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials were widely condemned.
Many have been presented to the U.N.’s world court as evidence of genocidal intent. Israel denies it has committed genocide in Gaza.
Israel’s domestic media has made scarce mention of the statement, highlighting how once-fringe ideologies like Ben-Gvir’s are surging in the lead-up to Israeli elections on October 27.
Figures like Ben-Gvir have become more popular among Israelis since Hamas’ brutal attack in 2023, when the militants killed about 1,200 people and took 251 hostages.
Many hostages have recounted long-term starvation, physical and psychological abuse and, in some cases, sexual abuse.
In May, he sparked international outrage after sharing a video that showed him taunting detained Gaza flotilla activists.
The video - posted to his X account - showed masked officers aggressively subduing activists by pushing them down, forcing them onto all fours, and dragging them across the floor.
Ben-Gvir could be seen goading them, waving an Israeli flag and saying: 'That's how we welcome the terror supporters. Welcome to Israel.'
The footage was swiftly condemned by politicians, including Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.