Israel’s military has announced that it will launch a criminal investigation into the killing of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family.
A separate criminal investigation will probe the killing of 15 Palestinian paramedics in Gaza in May 2025.
However, the military said that it would not launch criminal investigations into three other high-profile attacks that killed aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders.
A statement from the military, issued on Wednesday, said that it had completed reviews of 150 incidents involving Israeli troops in Gaza and made decisions on five cases.
It did not mention the Israeli strikes on a hospital in southern Gaza that killed five journalists in August 2025, including Maryam Abu Daqqa, a photojournalist for the Independent’s partner site Independent Arabia.
Hind was killed alongside her relatives in February 2024 as they tried to flee Gaza City amid an Israeli offensive.
Israeli troops opened fire on a vehicle carrying Hind, her aunt and uncle, and four of her cousins.
Hind’s 15-year-old cousin Layan Hamada called the Palestinian Red Crescent paramedic centre, telling them that a tank was approaching and that her family had been killed.
Seconds later, more gunshots were heard, and Layan’s screaming stopped, according to the Red Crescent recording of the call.
Hind was the sole survivor in the car. The Red Crescent stayed in contact with her as they tried to get permission from the military to rescue her, but contact was eventually lost.
Hind, her relatives and two medics were found dead 12 days later.
The 15 paramedics were killed when Israeli troops opened fire on their vehicles in the southern city of Rafah.
Troops shot at an ambulance that was driving to retrieve casualties from an Israeli offensive, then fired on several other emergency vehicles that went out to look for the first one, according to phone footage and the sole survivor of the shootings.
Troops then bulldozed over the bodies along with their mangled vehicles, burying them in a mass grave.
UN and rescue workers were only able to reach the site a week later to dig out the bodies.
The Israeli military initially said it opened fire because the vehicles were “advancing suspiciously” on nearby troops without headlights or emergency signals.
However, it backtracked from that account after the footage emerged, showing the Red Crescent and Civil Defense teams driving slowly with their emergency vehicle lights flashing and logos visible.
“We are not obligated to prove the truth because it is already proven to the whole world,” Eid Azizi, a Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson, said in a phone call.
“We shouldn’t have reached this point if they respected and followed the international humanitarian law.”