Ex-Marine Guteza recants testimony, accuses Marcoleta, Defensor of pressuring him
MANILA, Philippines — Orly Guteza, a retired Marine and alleged bagman of former Rep. Zaldy Co, has recanted his previous testimonies before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee, saying that he was pressured by detained lawmaker Sen. Dante Marcoleta and former lawmaker Mike Defensor into fabricating allegations against former House Speaker Martin Romualdez.
In an affidavit of recantation obtained by Philstar.com, Guteza detailed how he was “used” to publicize the alleged involvement of Romualdez in the anomalous flood-control issues, which he now admits were entirely fabricated.
“Ginawa ko ang salaysay na ito upang ilahad ang tunay na pangyayari at kung paano ako nahimok at nilinlang na magsalita sa Senate Blue Ribbon Committee noong Setyembre 25, 2025, sa ginagawang imbestigasyon nila patungkol sa ‘Flood Control issue’ sa kasalukuyang panahon,” Guteza said.
(I executed this affidavit to state the true events and to disclose how I was pressured and deceived into speaking before the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee on September 25, 2025, during their ongoing investigation into the current 'Flood Control issue.')
The setup
According to Guteza, the plot began on Sept. 24, 2025, when he was invited to a dinner meeting at a restaurant in a hotel in Pasay City.
The meeting was arranged by Defensor’s driver, known as "Djiango."
Upon arriving, Guteza was met by Defensor and a man named Mark, who is the husband of Defensor’s daughter.
Defensor reportedly pressured Guteza to claim that he witnessed money being hauled from the residence of Co.
Despite Guteza repeatedly telling Defensor that he had never seen any suitcases of money being delivered or counted, Defensor insisted on drafting an affidavit containing the false claims.
“Sabi ko, sir, 'wag na po kasi nabanggit na po sina Paul at Mark 'yan ang mga susi sa lahat ng katanungannila sa Senado, sir. Sabi niya ‘Hindi’ at pilit na sabi nya, ‘sulat lang natin bahala na si Sen. Dante [Marcoleta]’,” Guteza’s affidavit read.
Marcoleta’s direct involvement
According to Guteza, Marcoleta personally edited the draft affidavit on Mark’s laptop to refine the Tagalog translation and sharpen the allegations.
Guteza recalled that Marcoleta, after reading the affidavit, called it the "missing link" because it directly connected Romualdez to the alleged payoffs.
“At ng matapos niyang basahin ang affidavit sabi niya, "ITO NA YUNG MISSING LINK, NA HINAHANAP NATIN KASI PURO SILA ZALDY CO AT IKAW LANG MAKAKABANGIT KAY FORMER SPEAKER MARTIN NA NAGDEDELIVER NG PERA."
When Guteza expressed hesitation and suggested that other executive assistants, Paul and Mark, should testify instead, Marcoleta refused.
According to Guteza, Marcoleta explained that Paul and Mark could not testify because they are members of the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) and could face expulsion from their church.
Instead, Marcoleta and Defensor pressured Guteza to take the fall, promising him cash and educational scholarships for his children.
Guteza admitted that out of fear, confusion, and the lure of "sweet promises" of financial and educational aid, he agreed to the scheme. He confessed that he had absolutely no direct contact with Speaker Romualdez and never witnessed any deliveries of suitcases to Romualdez's alleged residence in Forbes Park.
To pull off the deception during the Senate hearing on September 25, 2025, Guteza even went back to the notary public to manually alter the year on his affidavit from "2025" to "2024" to hide the lies written in the document.
During the actual Senate session, Guteza served as Marcoleta's "resource person." He recalled being scolded by the Senator during the privileged time for "ad-libbing" instead of strictly following the prepared script.
Abandoned
Following his Senate appearance, Guteza said he realized he had been abandoned.
After the session, he attempted to speak with Marcoleta, but the senator ignored him. Guteza was then made to sign a waiver refusing Senate security and was left to walk out of the Senate premises entirely alone.
“Pagkatapos ng session ng Senado, tinangka ko pang kausapin at magpaalam kay Sen. Marcoleta pero may kausap siya at hindi niya na ako pinansin hanggang lumabas na ako ng session kasama ang security ng Senate papuntang ground floor. Doon pinapirma na ako ng waiver na ayaw kong magtanggap ng security galing sa kanila, na kung saan ay tumagal ang proseso ng mga isang oras. Lumabas akong mag-isa na naglalakad patungo sa open space ng parking area ng Senate at nakulutang na gulong-gulo ang isip dahil sa hindi man lang ako. kinausap ni Sen Marcoleta pagkatapos nya akong gamitin sa kanyang mapansariling mithin na mapublicize at i-criticize ang alleged involvement ni dating House Speaker Romualdez Tinatanong ko ang sarili ko, bakit ko ginawa ito? Napakabilis nang pangyayari at litong-lito ako sa mga panahong iyon na kahit habang nagmamaneho ako, kinakausap ko ang misis ko na nanghihingi ako ng kapatawaran. Kasi nadala ako sa matatamis na salitang pangako nina Former Congressman Mike Defensor at Senador Marcolta kaya ako nagpagamiting husto. Kay bilis ng pangyayari, di ko inakala na ganito pala ang kalalabasan ng ginawa ko sa kadahilanan ng bugso ng damdamin at nagpadala sa manggagamit at matatamis na salitang para sa bayan kaya nagawa ko ang bagay na ‘yon.”
New pressure rejected
Guteza also revealed that on Sept. 27, 2025, a staff member from Marcoleta’s office contacted him again, offering the contact number of lawyer Rowena Guanzon to help "correct" his affidavit so it could be used as evidence for a case filing on Sept. 29, 2025.
This time, however, Guteza refused to cooperate to avoid being used once again by "people thirsty for power."
"I made this sworn statement freely and voluntarily, and I swear that everything stated here is the truth based on my knowledge and belief," Guteza said in Filipino.
In a social media post, Guanzon denied Guteza’s allegations, calling him a “liar” and saying that she was never a consultant for Marcoleta.
“I don't practice law anymore,” Guanzon said.
Marcoleta and Defensor are currently detained in Quezon City due to plunder charges.
- Latest
- Trending