JEJU, South Korea, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- Police said Thursday they have booked an officer over allegations he closed a missing person case without confirming the safety of the person who went missing on the southern island of Jeju.
Jang Mi-ran, 37, was first reported missing by her family on May 15, two days after she left her home. The family has claimed the police officer who filed the report told them he had spoken with her by phone and confirmed her safety.
Jang, however, continued to remain unheard from, prompting her family to file a second missing person report on July 19.
When police investigators tried to confirm the claimed call, Jang's call logs showed no record of any call between her and the police officer, according to the Jeju Provincial Police Agency.
The police are closely reviewing the steps that led to the initial case being closed, the agency said, adding all surveillance footage that could have shown Jang's movements on the day she went missing had been deleted prior to July 19.
The police and the Coast Guard were set to launch a full-scale search later Thursday by deploying an average of 140 personnel per day until Wednesday, along with helicopters, drones, search dogs, divers and patrol vessels.
At the time of her disappearance, Jang reportedly had long straight hair and was wearing a gold bracelet. She is estimated to be 158 centimeters tall, with a slim build.
yusbvtyhtoo@yna.co.kr
(END)
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- (2nd LD) Gov't aims to supply over 230,000 additional homes in Seoul metropolitan area to tame housing prices
- BIGBANG named honorary ambassador for space agency
-
U.S. favorability for BTS hits record 46 pct in Q2: poll
-
N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
Bill Gates in S. Korea to discuss cooperation in next-generation nuclear reactors
-
Death penalty sought for woman accused of killing 2 men with laced drinks
- (3rd LD) Trump says he will meet N. Korea's Kim this year, puts N.K. nukes at 57
- Seoul not notified in advance of Trump's order to scale back drills: FM Cho
- (LEAD) N.K. leader's sister says Pyongyang more focused on S. Korea-U.S. drills continuing than reduced scale
- (3rd LD) S. Korea, U.S. curtail joint military drills following Trump order