Harry and Meghan are understood to be planning to move their family back to the UK - six years after leaving for the US.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to move back later this month with their children Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five.
The couple stepped down as senior royals in January 2020 and moved to California after becoming angry at media intrusion and frustrated that Buckingham Palace prevented them from developing their “SussexRoyal” brand.
The King was made aware on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess plan to return to live in the UK, and is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity.
Here, The Independent breaks down Harry and Meghan’s move back to the UK.
**Why are they moving back now? **
While the Sussex’s move back to the UK will be an opportunity for their children to build relationships with their grandfather King Charles, the couple have not given an official reason for the move.
It comes after King Charles hosted Harry and met with his family in July for the first time in several years.
Harry’s visit last month also coincided with him losing his final lawsuit as a judge ruled that he failed to prove his privacy invasion claims against the publisher of the Daily Mail.
His legal battles have been a source of friction with his family, however.
Harry has said he wants to reconcile with his 77-year-old father, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer.
After losing a court battle over his security issue last year, Harry said he hoped to rebuild relations with his family, even as he suggested that the royals had sought to prevent him from receiving police protection to punish him for walking away from royal duties.
“I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore,” Harry told the BBC at the time.
Where will they live?
The Duke and Duchess are likely to swap their multi-million dollar mansion in California for a home somewhere in the UK countryside. But it’s understood they won’t live at a royal household.
The exact location has also not yet been revealed, according to the BBC it will not be in London.
What school will their children go to?
Both Archie and Lilibet have been enrolled into a new school and they are set to start in September.
However, for security reasons the name of the school has been kept private.
The Wales children, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, attend Lambrook School in Berkshire, and Prince George is set to start boarding at Eton College. But it’s not known if the Sussex children will attend the same school.
Will they be working royals?
It is understood there will be no change to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family, and they will not be offered a “half-in-half-out” option when it comes to these roles.
When the couple stepped down as working royals and moved to California, they pursued commercial deals, including contracts with Netflix and Spotify. But it is not known what they will do when they arrive in the UK.
What will happen with their security?
In the US, the Duke and Duchess employed a private security team to protect them. But it is unknown if their security will be joining them in the move.
It is also not clear if the couple will be getting any police protection in the UK.
The announcement of their move comes less than two months after the duke was trying to find a way to safely bring his wife and children to the UK to mark the one-year countdown to the Invictus Games in Birmingham.
At the end of June, he was still waiting for a review by the Risk Management Board (RMB), part of the process by which the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) rules on his security requirements – and he and his security detail were working behind the scenes to try to ensure the visit could take place safely.