By Yoo Jee-ho

SEOUL, Aug. 20 (Yonhap) -- The South Korean baseball club NC Dinos on Thursday retracted their threat to relocate, saying they are pleased with their current home city's effort in fulfilling the team's demands.

The Dinos have been based in the southeastern city of Changwon, South Gyeongsang Province, since their inaugural Korea Baseball Organization (KBO) season in 2013.

"We trust that Changwon will continue to value baseball fans in the city and try to make baseball a source of civic pride," the Dinos said in a statement. "We plan to stay in Changwon. We would like to thank the city and its officials for their hard work."

The Dinos and Changwon had been at odds since spring last year, in light of a fatal incident at the Dinos' home stadium, Changwon NC Park, in March.

A piece of aluminum panel fell from above a concession stand and killed an unsuspecting fan during a game, prompting extensive safety inspections and forcing the Dinos to spend the next month and a half on the road.

Changwon was criticized for shunning responsibility even though it owns the stadium and for dragging its feet when the Dinos were trying to determine a return date following the end of inspections.

The Dinos played six alternate home games in another city in late May, at which point the Dinos declared the team would move if its demands for improvements in and around the stadium were not met by Changwon. Dinos CEO Lee Jin-man even accused the city of treating the ball club "unreasonably."

In Thursday's statement, the Dinos noted that Changwon has honored some of the team's demands and has shown a commitment to implementing other measures.

The Dinos admitted there are "some lingering concerns" about long-term projects that have not been executed and asked the city to remain in close coordination with the team going forward.

A team official also left the door slightly open for another relocation threat, saying, "If the city does not honor pledges it made, then we will have to consider moving to another place for our fans and for our sustainable future.

"But if we can maintain our mutual trust, then we will not bring up relocation."

The Dinos apologized to their fans for causing concern and uncertainty over the issue, and also thanked them for their patience and support.

Changwon welcomed the Dinos' decision and vowed to keep working closely with the ball club to provide an optimal fan experience in the city.

jeeho@yna.co.kr

(END)

  • N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
  • BIGBANG named honorary ambassador for space agency
  • (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
  • U.S. favorability for BTS hits record 46 pct in Q2: poll
  • (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system

  • N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War

  • Trump signs memo permitting foreign shipbuilders to build up to 2 U.S. ships in their shipyards
  • (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
  • (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
  • Bill Gates in S. Korea to discuss cooperation in next-generation nuclear reactors

  • (3rd LD) Trump says he will meet N. Korea's Kim this year, puts N.K. nukes at 57

  • (LEAD) N.K. leader's sister says Pyongyang more focused on S. Korea-U.S. drills continuing than reduced scale
  • (2nd LD) Chinese FM pledges to keep playing 'constructive role' for peace on Korean Peninsula
  • (LEAD) N. Korea typically estimated to have 80-120 nuclear weapons: defense minister
  • Seoul not notified in advance of Trump's order to scale back drills: FM Cho