A file is expected to be sent to the DPP over the death of an elderly pensioner who was killed when a bus crashed through a pedestrian area in Dublin city centre earlier this year, an inquest has heard.
Frank Daly (85) a single man of Bargy Road, East Wall, Dublin 3, died after being struck by a Bus Éireann bus near the junction of North Earl Street and Marlborough Street on February 5th 2026.
At a sitting of Dublin District Coroner’s Court on Thursday, Detective Inspector Ken Hoare said a file on the investigation into Mr Daly’s death would be sent to the DPP.
Det Insp Hoare applied for an adjournment of the inquest into the death of Mr Daly under Section 25 (1) of the Coroners Act 1962 on the basis that criminal proceedings are under consideration.
Det Insp Hoare explained that the investigation file was “complete” but gardaí were still awaiting a forensic collision report into the fatal incident.
The deceased’s brother and next-of-kin, Dermot Daly, gave evidence of formally identifying his brother’s body to gardaí at Dublin City Mortuary in Whitehall.
The coroner, Clare Keane, said the results of a postmortem showed Mr Daly had died as a result of multi-organ and musculoskeletal injuries and a transection (tear) of his aorta.
Dr Keane granted the application by gardaí for an adjournment of the case and listed the case for further mention to April 22nd 2027.
The fatal incident occurred as the bus was coming up Talbot Street at around 12.30pm to take a left turn onto the one-way system on Marlborough Street when it appeared to career across the road onto a pedestrianised area of North Earl Street.
Three other pedestrians were also injured during the incident and taken to hospital, including one male in his 20s who sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries.
The female bus driver, a woman in her 50s, was brought to hospital for treatment but later released.
Some damage was also caused to a shopfront as a result of the crash.
Following the incident, Bus Éireann stated that the double-decker bus was not in service at the time of the collision.
Daly was a former dispatcher with The Irish Times for over 45 years until his retirement in 2002.
The deceased was a well-known walker and was a regular customer of Ann’s Bakery on North Earl Street, which is located close to the scene of the fatal crash.
Bakery staff erected a photograph of Mr Daly as a tribute to him following his death.