See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results
See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results
Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on GoogleFour-time Formula One world champion Max Verstappen has signed an extended contract with Red Bull Racing, ending speculation that he could leave the team or quit the sport altogether.
Verstappen, 28, was rumoured to be contemplating a move to rivals McLaren or Mercedes in recent months, but in a press release on Thursday he said he had chosen to stay with the team he saw as a “second family”.
”We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again,” he said. “This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue.”
He dismissed reports he had been in talks behind the scenes about a possible move to McLaren next season. “I was closer to quitting than changing teams,” he said.
The news that Verstappen will keep driving for Red Bull until 2030 will be welcomed by Dutch fans on the eve of the last edition of his home Grand Prix this weekend.
“To make this announcement during the last Grand Prix at Zandvoort is a great moment for me as well,” Verstappen said. “Hopefully we can give the fans a special send-off for the final race.”
Hybrid cars
Verstappen won the first three races after Zandvoort returned to the Formula One calendar in 2021, at a time when he dominated the sport, winning 71 races in 10 years and four consecutive world titles between 2021 and 2024.
This year he is standing sixth in the championship race, 110 points behind leader Kimi Antonelli, and is yet to record a win.
Verstappen has criticised the new hybrid cars introduced this season, that require drivers to save on fuel by recharging the battery during the race, describing them as “not fun to drive” and “anti-racing”.
Earlier this season he took part in the 24-hour race at the Nürburgring in Germany. Verstappen said being able to drive more endurance races in future years was “one of the factors and wishes” that influenced his decision to sign a new deal.
He was also caught up in the tensions within the Red Bull team surrounding the departure of former team boss Christian Horner, who left just over a year ago after being accused of sexually harassing a female colleague.
Horner was twice cleared of wrongdoing, but left with a £52 mln (€60 mln) payout amid accusations by Verstappen’s father, Jos, that he was “driving people apart”. Horner later said Max Verstappen played no role in his departure.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.
Make a donation