A massive search and rescue operation involving seven Indian Navy and Coast Guard vessels, Dornier aircraft and a Navy helicopter is under way to trace the eight fishermen who went missing after setting out to sea from Vadarevu Fishing Landing Centre on August 3, said Andhra Pradesh Agriculture and Fisheries Minister Kinjarapu Atchannaidu.

In a statement on Thursday, the Minister said that the search operation had been intensified with the coordinated deployment of all available resources by the Indian Navy, Indian Coast Guard and the State Fisheries Department.

The boat carrying the eight fishermen failed to return as scheduled, following which search operations were launched after the authorities were alerted. Since August 17, five Coast Guard vessels have been engaged in the operation, while the Navy has deployed two additional ships, taking the total number of vessels involved in the search to seven.

One of the Navy ships is searching the waters from Visakhapatnam towards Paradip, while another vessel is carrying out search operations towards Odalarevu, the Minister said.

Aerial search has also been expanded, with a Dornier aircraft operating search sorties from Visakhapatnam, Kolkata and Chennai. A Navy helicopter from Kolkata has also been deployed to scan the probable areas where the missing boat and fishermen could be located.

The Coast Guard stations at Haldia and Paradip have also joined the operation, further widening the search area. Authorities are continuously reviewing possible sea routes and coastal stretches that the boat may have taken, based on the information available.

Mr. Atchannaidu said there had been no positive information on the whereabouts of the fishermen so far, but stressed that the search would not be called off. “Every possible effort is being made to locate the fishermen and bring them back safely,” he said.

The Minister appealed to the family members of the missing fishermen to remain courageous, assuring them that the government understood their anxiety and was closely monitoring the rescue efforts.

“The search operation will continue without interruption until the fishermen are traced and brought back safely,” Mr. Atchannaidu said.

Published - August 20, 2026 07:21 pm IST