Prince Harry will on Friday find out the cost of his failed legal claims against the publisher of the Daily Mail, as he and Meghan Markle prepare to return to the UK.

The duke and six other household names brought legal action against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL), the publisher of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, alleging it had carried out or commissioned unlawful activities such as landline tapping, hiring private investigators to place listening devices inside cars or “blagging” private records.

However, the cases were dismissed after an 11-week trial earlier this year.

It comes as, six years after they relocated to the US, Harry and Meghan are expected to leave the United States and make their home in a non-royal residence outside London.

Asked whether the government would pay for their protection on their return to the UK, Andy Burnham said: “It’s a matter for Harry and Meghan and we wish them well in the move that they’re making.”

Why did Prince Harry sue the Daily Mail publisher? The duke’s legal battle in full

More people oppose Sussexes' return than support it

A new YouGov poll, carried out the day after the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s surprise U-turn was revealed, showed 33 per cent of people believed Harry and Meghan should not move back to the UK, while 45 per cent did not know.

Less than a quarter (21 per cent) were in favour of the Sussexes relocating to the UK from the US.

The poll surveyed 5,810 adults.

Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?

Questions remaining as Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are set to return to the UK

  • Why are Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK?
  • Where they are moving to?
  • Who will pay for their security?
  • Will Harry and William reconcile?
  • Which schools will Archie and Lili attend?

Trump’s Maga allies mock Harry and Meghan over return to UK

A number of Donald Trump’s MAGA allies have mocked Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on social media after reports suggested their decision to leave the United States is partly because of their dislike of President Donald Trump.

Read more here:

Return could backfire if Harry and Meghan fail to learn from mistakes – PR guru

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s return to the UK could backfire if they fail to come up with a different script as to how they conduct their lives, a PR expert has warned.

Mark Borkowski branded Harry and Meghan’s bombshell news “extraordinary”, and suggested the royal family will not want them “back in the camp”.

He also said the U-turn raised a raft of questions as to how the couple would pay for their lifestyle, how their security will operate and be funded, and what Meghan will do in the UK.

The public relations and crisis expert said: “If we’re going to see the typical Harry and Meghan three-ring circus, then we know what happens when that is played out.

“That leads to massive disruption, and ultimately if they’re going to use the same tools in the same way – they’ve got to come up with a different play and a different script – that’s just repeating the sins of the past.”

He added: “If they’re bringing that whole spin machine with them, then it is going to backfire.”

Say what you like about Harry and Meghan, their timing is impeccable

The Sussexes’ surprise decision to do a ‘Megflip’ six years after moving to California comes not a moment too soon for the couple, says Harry Mount – let’s hope they’re doing it for the right reasons

Read more here:

Harry and Meghan's UK security funding a private matter, says Andy Burnham

In pictures: Memorial to late Diana at Althorp House, where Prince Harry and Meghan visited recently

13 truths about Disneyland Cotswolds that Harry and Meghan should know

As it is announced that Harry and Meghan are to return to live in the UK, speculation is mounting that they could move to the Cotswolds. Good luck with that, says long-time resident Julian Linley, who pulls back the curtain on what life is really like beyond the Disney-esque fantasy...

Read more here: