The Bombay High Court on Thursday (August 20, 2026) halted the Mumbai civic body's plan to convert Neville D'Souza Football Ground at Bandra Reclamation into an exhibition or convention centre.

A Bench of Acting Chief Justice Ravindra V Ghuge and Justice Gautam A Ankhad directed the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to refrain from taking any steps until the next hearing on September 18.

The court asked the civic body where people would play football. It took cognizance of an oral assurance the BMC had made to the court earlier, stating that the assurance by the BMC lawyer was not communicated to BMC Commissioner Ashwini Bhide.

The Bench observed that some space must remain open, otherwise the next generation would forget outdoor sports and grounds. It noted that the majesty of law was at stake if elected authorities acted against court orders. The court indicated it would take suo motu action unless the BMC reversed its position to August 10.

The development came a day after the Mumbai Football Association (MFA) flagged a BMC move to clear a proposal to convert the ground, despite earlier assurances that the ground would not be converted.

Defending its move, the BMC told the court that its general body had taken the decision only to publish a notice inviting suggestions and objections from stakeholders. The civic body assured that the change in reservations would happen only after the state government passed an order.

Senior advocate Zal Andhyarujina, representing the football association, alleged that BMC's general body was told there was no stay from the HC and therefore the authorities decided to go ahead and pass the resolution.

When the court sought to know if the BMC could keep the decision in abeyance till further hearing, Senior Advocate Girish Godbole representing the civic body said it was not possible under the Municipal Act for the Commissioner to request the general body to suspend or recall the resolution, passed based on the agenda of the meeting circulated last month.

The court has scheduled the next hearing for September 18.

Published - August 21, 2026 07:03 am IST