(ATTN: UPDATES with more info in paras 5-8)
SEOUL, Aug. 21 (Yonhap) -- President Lee Jae Myung has appointed senior trade official Park Jung-sung as the new trade minister, a presidential spokesperson said Friday, filling the post immediately tasked with leading the talks with Washington over South Korea's investment pledge to the United States.
Park, formerly vice trade minister, will replace Yeo Han-koo, according to presidential spokesperson Kang Yu-jung. Yeo was dismissed last week for unknown reasons.
Park's appointment does not require parliamentary approval or a confirmation hearing.
The appointment comes amid what Seoul officials have called meaningful progress in Seoul-Washington talks on South Korea's strategic investment projects in the U.S., with additional details expected to be unveiled next month.
The two countries are currently negotiating their first investment project under South Korea's US$350 billion investment pledge made last year as part of a trade deal with the U.S.
Park is a veteran official well versed in trade affairs, having served in major trade-related posts at the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Resources, according to Cheong Wa Dae.
He was selected as the most qualified person who "will maximize the national interest by maintaining continuity in the negotiations amid urgent trade issues, having headed working-level negotiations with the U.S. on tariffs and investment," Kang said.
Lee has also appointed Choi Yong-chul, vice chief of the National Fire Agency, to head the agency, according to the spokesperson.
pbr@yna.co.kr
(END)
- N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
- (URGENT) Lee says will work to replace unstable armistice with peace regime on Korean Peninsula
-
(URGENT) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
N. Korea silent on Lee's proposal for dialogue to officially end Korean War
- (LEAD) Lee reiterates support for four-year, two-term presidential system
- (2nd LD) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
- (URGENT) Lee proposes dialogue with N. Korea to officially end Korean War, halt Pyongyang's nuclear program
-
Trump posts photo with N.K. leader Kim, says he, Kim 'get along great'
-
(3rd LD) N. Korea fires barrage of short-range ballistic missiles despite Trump overture
- N. Korea fires unidentified projectile toward East Sea: S. Korean military
- (LEAD) N.K. leader's sister says reduced military exercise put Seoul 'in poor plight of canceling war games'
- Chinese national gets 20 years for hacking accounts of BTS' Jungkook, others
- Lee meets Chinese FM, calls for close communication on Korean Peninsula issues