An 18-year-old with a sword attacked a school Friday in central Sweden, killing one person and seriously injuring two others, a police chief said.
Police Chief Tommy Alriksson told a news conference that the 18-year-old perpetrator at the school in the central town of Fagersta had been arrested.
Police confirmed that shots were fired during the arrest, the TT news agency reported. The dead person was found as police entered the school to secure the premises.
The attack took place at the Brinell School in the city of Fagersta, northwest of the capital, Stockholm, while classes were in session, with about 400 to 500 students, officials said.
Get breaking National news
There was no immediate word on the attacker’s possible motive.
“We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,” said Alriksson, adding that an investigation was continuing.
Police spokesperson Pelle Vamstad, quoted by the TT news agency, said an alarm was received in the early afternoon Friday and that police rushed to the scene. He said officers would check any available camera footage for their investigation.
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson, in a post earlier on the X social media platform, lamented the violence in Fagersta “right after the summer break.”
“We do not yet know what lies behind the act, but we know that the police are working very intensively,” he added. “Our thoughts are with all those affected.”
The Fagersta city government said it set up a crisis center in a sports hall near the school. The Vastmanland county government said “many people” were affected and that police, fire services, and healthcare workers were among those caring for them.
Several nearby schools had been locked down following the incident, and roadblocks were set up, authorities said.