• See more Daily Mail on Google - save us as a Preferred Source

A man in his 60s has been arrested following the rape of a woman in her 40s on a woodland path near a Bournemouth seafront.

Emergency services were called to the Boscombe area of the town following reports the alleged victim had been attacked at around 9am on Friday.

The incident occurred at Woodland Walk nature reserve shortly after the man and woman met.

A probe into the alleged attack has since been launched, with a cordon put in place as investigators examine the scene.

Dorset Police have confirmed a man from Bournemouth, aged in his 60s, has been arrested on suspicion of rape.

Detective Inspector Edmund Murray, of BCP CID, said the force is continuing to 'support the victim,' and have updated her on the development.

He said: 'An investigation was launched and we have now made an arrest as we continue to investigate what happened.

'I am appealing to anyone who may have seen any suspicious activity in the area that may assist our enquiries to please get in touch.

'Our local neighbourhood policing team will be patrolling the area and can be approached by anyone who has concerns or wants to provide information.'

A man in his 60s has been arrested following the rape of a woman in her 40s on a woodland path near a Bournemouth seafront