A Pentagon report released on Friday shows an increase in U.S. service members reporting unwanted sexual contact to authorities. Although more personnel are now willing to step forward, the overall frequency of these incidents has dropped over the past year.

An estimated 33 percent of active duty personnel who stated that they experienced unwanted sexual contact during fiscal year 2025 filed a report, compared with 25 percent in fiscal year 2023, the document stated. The findings stem from biennial confidential survey responses as well as official sexual assault reports made to authorities.

"In other words, about 1 in 3 Service members reported experiencing their sexual assault to a Department authority," the document noted. "This estimate is up from the 1 in 4 Service members estimated to have reported experiencing sexual assault in FY 2023."

The report marks another year of improving trends in the effort to tackle sexual assault in the military. The Pentagon reports from the previous two years show drops in sexual assault reports as well as the number of service members who said they had experienced unwanted sexual contact. That followed almost a decade of rising numbers of reported assaults, though many say the numbers still are too high.

The Pentagon releases this report every year on the number of sexual assaults reported by or about troops. Because sexual assault is a highly underreported crime, the department does a confidential online survey every two years to get a clearer picture of the problem.

Defense officials have long argued that an increase in reported assaults is a positive trend because so many people are reluctant to report them, both in the military and in society as a whole. Greater reporting, they say, shows there is more confidence in the reporting system and greater comfort with the support for victims.

The number of reported sexual assaults dipped last year from the previous year. The Defense Department said it received a total of 7,998 reports of sexual assault in 2025, a decrease of 197 from 8,195 reports received in 2024.

The latest confidential survey found that unwanted sexual contact among active duty women decreased from an estimated 6.8 percent in 2023 to 4.3 percent last year. For men, the prevalence fell from an estimated 1.3 percent to 1 percent.

Sexual harassment of active duty women fell from an estimated 24.7 percent to 17.5 percent during that time, while it dropped from 5.8 percent to 4.4 percent for men, according to the survey.

While the latest Pentagon report suggests the military is making progress on changing the culture of sexual assault and its underreporting in the military, the new figures cover only the first several months of Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s time leading the Pentagon.

Since his arrival, Hegseth has not shied away from firing top female leaders and instituting policies and reviews that suggest he may be looking to diminish the role that women can play in the military.