Arsenal legend, Ian Wright has expressed his discontent with Arsenal and Mikel Arteta over their treatment of Gabriel Martinelli after the Brazilian was excluded from the squad for the 3-0 victory against Coventry City on Friday night.
Arsenal kicked off their new Premier League season in ideal fashion, with goals from Bukayo Saka, Kai Havertz and Martin Odegaard securing a win over Frank Lampard’s team at the Emirates Stadium.
Martinelli was entirely omitted from the squad as Arsenal seek to offload the Brazilian winger before the summer transfer window closes.
The 25-year-old, who has only one year remaining on his contract, was also left out of Arteta’s squad for their triumph over Manchester City in the Community Shield last Sunday.
Last week, Arsenal received an offer of £38 million from Galatasaray. However, the winger told the club that he was not interested in a transfer to the Turkish league.
Wright said Martinelli is being kept uninformed about his future and criticised Arsenal for their handling of the situation.
He told Sky Sports:
“In respect of Martinelli and the way Martinelli has been treated at the moment, it really makes me feel uncomfortable.
“The manner in which he has been treated recently suggests that there may be a desire for him to leave, and many are expressing the opinion that it might be time for him to move on. However, there are appropriate ways to facilitate this move that should also consider his preferences regarding how he wishes to go.
“His exclusion from the squad and lack of communication about his future are concerning. He is unaware of the current developments, particularly regarding his omission from the Community Shield squad. I understand that he has approximately one year remaining on his contract.
“For him to be nowhere near it, it makes me feel sad for him.
“I’m just saying I think he’s done enough with this team, with this squad, to be treated with a little bit more respect than he’s being treated at the moment.”