A man has been arrested after a ferry passenger who went overboard made a “bomb threat” which led to the evacuation of the vessel.

Hundreds of passengers were forced to disembark on foot at Ardrossan harbour on Scotland’s west coast on Friday.

The CalMac ferry service the MV Caledonian Isles was carrying 329 people from Brodick on the Isle of Arran when a man went overboard before making threats to rescuers who pulled him from the water. In an initial statement, CalMac said a threat was then received that a bomb was on board the vessel.

Passengers waited on foot in a nearby Asda carpark while police officers scoured the ship, before later confirming the threat was not credible.

Police Scotland said they had arrested a 23-year-old man in connection with the incident.

“It has been established that the threats made were not credible,” the force said. “The incident has since concluded and there is no threat to the wider public.”

The ferry operator said all 329 passengers who were on board and those who were at the port were guided to the nearby Asda car park by police as the search was carried out.

In an update, CalMac said passengers were allowed back on board to recover their vehicles after the search of the vessel was complete and the situation had been resolved.

CalMac chief executive Duncan Mackison said: “This was a fast-moving situation that was handled professionally by our crew, Ardrossan port staff and emergency services and I would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to them.”

All remaining sailings from Ardrossan on Friday evening were cancelled to allow crew to be debriefed and for emergency equipment to be replenished.

Due to expected disruption, members of the public are advised to contact CalMac for further travel information.