Protests have erupted in different corners of West Bengal over the denial of Annapurna Bhandar scheme benefits to women, with agitators taking their grievances directly to Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leaders and Ministers.

On Friday (August 21, 2026), State Minister Agnimitra Paul had to face the anger of women who were protesting against delayed Annapurna Yojana payments, forcing her to leave an administrative meeting at the district magistrate’s office in Midnapore and hear their grievances. Earlier this week, protesters also reached the residence of Minister of Women and Child Development Malati Rava Roy in the State’s Cooch Behar district.

At Birati in North 24-Parganas, protesters blocked railway tracks, while at Falakata in Alipurduar district, women blocked National Highway-31. Middle-aged women have also held demonstrations outside Block Development Offices (BDOs) across several districts, including Paschim Medinipur, North 24-Parganas, Bardhaman Purba, Bardhaman Paschim, Hooghly, Bankura, Jalpaiguri, and Alipurduar.

Videos have surfaced on social media, showing long queues of women outside BDO offices and women complaining about the denial of benefits.

More money, fewer beneficiaries

The BJP had promised to double the monthly cash incentive to women during the campaign for the West Bengal Assembly polls. The previous Trinamool Congress government was distributing ₹1,500 per month to about 2.2 crore beneficiaries. While the BJP did double the sum under Annapurna Bhandar, the number of women receiving the benefits dropped by millions. Going back on its poll promise to deliver the benefits of Annapurna Bhandar to all women, the BJP government has now subjected the scheme to certain conditions

The protests erupted after the State government decided to transfer funds to reach all eligible women on August 17. Going by the figures highlighted by the BJP, about 1.45 crore beneficiaries are receiving Annapurna Yojana benefits, 70 lakh fewer than the number of beneficiaries under the Trinamool Congress regime.

Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari claimed the protests were politically orchestrated by the Opposition and amplified by the press, asserting that he would not bow to such pressure. Mr. Adhikari said that 28 lakh beneficiaries had received funds in June, rising to 1.19 crore recipients in July, and 1.45 crore in August.

“They can make reels for shock value and stage media trials by bringing out 20 people onto the streets, but such tactics will not work,” he said, addressing a programme on the scheme in his Bhabanipur Assembly segment. The Chief Minister also announced that West Bengal will observe ‘Annapurna Diwas’ on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s birthday on September 17.

‘False promises’

Over the past few days, the Trinamool Congress has shared videos of women protesting against the denial of benefits under the Annapurna Bhandar.

“People across Bengal are already FED UP with @BJP4Bengal’s false promises and jumlas. Annapurna Bhandar was nothing but a JUMLA. We said it then, and we are reiterating it now. The Bengal BJP government has already gone back on its own poll promises and is now shamelessly toying with the lives and expectations of lakhs of women. @SuvenduWB, you made promises. Women believed you. And now, in just 100 days, Bengal has truly cut you down to size,” the Trinamool Congress said in a social media post.

Published - August 22, 2026 10:34 pm IST