Swans fans at Sunday’s historic doubleheader were divided about whether to boycott the men’s game after a week of scandal, as some backed the players on the field and others vowed to make a stand.
The dilemma came into sharp focus between the two matches at the Sydney Cricket Ground, as fans walked out in droves following the AFLW win and before the men’s match to be met by those walking the opposite direction to support the men.
Five Swans stars were suspended by the club over late-night drinking and bringing women back to the Pullman hotel in Melbourne after last round’s away match, and there is a police investigation into allegations of sexual assault.
A record-breaking AFLW Swans crowd was followed by a lively turnout for the men taking on North Melbourne, but those who came only for the women made their presence and support known.
Leaving before the first bounce of the men’s match, diehard Swans fan Iesha Veness rejected the idea that the club had done enough and that today’s players deserved support.
“We are all so preoccupied about protecting them, saying ‘you know, these men haven’t done anything wrong’. But we have to make a stand about calling out the culture,” she said.
Veness had always been proud of the Swans’ inclusive stance on Indigenous and LGBTQ issues.
“It’s been really upsetting and disheartening to see these men that you really trusted to be role models to do such a shameful, shameful thing.”
Childcare worker Lily Booth said that it would not surprise her if the behaviour for which five Swans players were banned was not unusual.
“This is their job, and if you can’t perform your job, then don’t do it,” she said. “I’m not getting paid nearly the amount of money these men are getting paid … I cannot go to work and act like this. I think it’s absolutely a cultural thing.”
Veness and Booth, players for their local Swans club, had planned to stay for the men’s game before the events of last week.
“Up the Swannies, go the girls,” echoed a chant among the protesters. Another woman turned to face the stadium and stuck her middle fingers up as she left.
Inside the SCG, the faces of Swans stars Isaac Heeney, Nick Blakey or Chad Warner – three of the banned players – were nowhere to be seen among the sea of red and white.
Among the families enjoying only the women’s match were Phillip Bredin, his wife Mary, and their children, Miles and Masie. Phillip said they were not thinking about the suspended men’s “really grotty behaviour”.
“The AFLW is so positive; it’s important to get behind the women and see them play somewhere like this,” he said.
“It’s why we’re here, and we won’t be staying for the next match.”
Other fans were undecided about staying for both games. Friends Kay Harris and Annie Reidy broke from their tradition of wearing their Swans scarves due to feeling uneasy.
“We figure the men playing today are the ones that play by the rules and the reserves who’ve done nothing wrong,” Reidy said. “However, it’s the culture that you might want to protest against. So it’s a little bit tough.”
Susan Mosey shared how she approached the tricky topic with her eight-year-old son, Fox, who was all smiles as he cheered on the women. Mosey seized the opportunity to talk broadly about not touching other people and being kind.
“We’ve had to talk to my son this week about why his favourite players aren’t playing any more, and then using it as a way to kind of get out to support the women,” she said.
“It’s all about respect, and that if they aren’t kind and respectful, they have punishments, just like he gets punishments. It was actually quite a big moment.”
Mosey and her family attended both matches. They said they would have left if the five involved men were not banned, but they felt their teammates should not be penalised.
The past week had been disappointing for Dennis Ridewood, a Swans member since 1997. Wearing a 1998 Mardi Gras-themed Swans T-shirt and waving a rainbow pride flag, he smiled, chanted and cheered.
Ridewood is a staunch supporter of the team’s culture and had fought for inclusion for decades, having first marched in the Mardi Gras Parade in Sydney Swans colours back in 1998.
“The AFL is all about inclusivity, and no matter what’s happened over this last week, I think we should all remain inclusive, supportive, and respectful to all our players, both male and female supporters,” he said.