Key Sydney players are set to miss multiple matches under the AFL rule that covers bringing the game into disrepute.
Two senior competition sources speaking on the condition of anonymity have confirmed to this masthead that the players are set to be dealt with under AFL rule 2.3A.
The rule prohibits conduct unbecoming or likely to prejudice the interests or reputation of the AFL, and is set to be invoked after the players returned to the team hotel in Melbourne in the early hours of Monday morning following a night of drinking.
The action is separate to the Victoria Police investigation into an allegation of sexual assault at the Pullman in East Melbourne.
The Swans players, who have spoken to police as part of the investigation, have arrived back in Sydney from Melbourne but by early afternoon on Tuesday were yet to give the club their version of events.
A source close to the group, but not authorised to speak publicly, said the players had been fully co-operative with the police probe.
They said all five had been prepared to speak with police on Monday, but only one was ultimately quizzed.
Police told the group they were not ready to conduct a formal interview or speak with any of the players acting as witnesses.
The source said leading Melbourne criminal lawyer Tony Hargreaves was called in to assist the group before they were told they were free to leave and return to Sydney.
This masthead has contacted the representatives of Isaac Heeney, Riley Bice, James Jordon, Chad Warner and one other player after two senior industry sources said they were spoken to by police after an allegation of sexual assault in the early hours of Monday morning.
This masthead is not suggesting the players are under investigation by police, just that they are assisting with inquiries.
A manager representing a fifth player denied his client was one of the players involved.
A Swans spokesperson told media the club was yet to speak with any of them about what took place at the Pullman hotel.
Those conversations were expected to take place later on Tuesday afternoon, once the players had secured legal representation, and they will happen offsite, rather than at the club’s administrative and training base.
Only after that will the Swans be in a position to provide further updates.
The Swans and the AFL are expected to make a joint announcement in response to the alleged incident, according to the competition sources, but that may not happen until Wednesday.
If the players are found to have broken an AFL rule, they can expect to be suspended for at least two matches, which would be unrelated to the police investigation.
No player has been arrested and the AFL’s disciplinary action does not make any finding in relation to the allegation that remains under investigation by detectives from Victoria Police’s Sexual Crimes Squad.
Instead, the AFL and the club have been examining the conduct of the players before and around the alleged incident, and whether their behaviour fell sufficiently below the standards expected of AFL footballers to warrant sanction under the league’s broad disrepute provisions.
One of the most recent examples of an AFL suspension under this rule was for then Bulldog Bailey Smith, who was found guilty of “conduct unbecoming” and suspended for two matches in 2022.
Smith admitted to using an illicit substance late in 2021.
This masthead contacted all 36 of the Swans’ corporate partners. None were willing to comment on the incident, and so far, there is no indication that any of the club’s sponsors will be walking away.
However, a spokesperson for Origin expressed disappointment. “The club informed us about this incident yesterday, and we are incredibly disappointed. While the matter is subject to an investigation, it is not appropriate for us to comment any further,” the spokesperson said.
The Swans players are now facing the prospect of missing not only Sydney’s final home-and-away match against North Melbourne on Sunday, but at least part of the Swans’ finals campaign.
Sydney have already secured second position on the ladder and a home qualifying final. Any multi-game suspension would carry significant consequences for the club’s premiership aspirations.
The Swans were forced to remain in Melbourne on Sunday night because Sydney Airport’s curfew prevented the team from returning home following its convincing win over Essendon at the MCG.
Several players subsequently went out drinking before returning to the Pullman, where the team and its staff were staying.
Police attended the hotel on Monday after receiving a report of an alleged sexual assault.