St George Illawarra captain Clint Gutherson has played his last game of the year after succumbing to a knee injury, while teammate Emre Guler has been granted an immediate release to begin his Super League career.

Gutherson told this masthead on Tuesday that he was still hopeful of returning this season, declaring: “I’m doing everything I can to get back.”

However, sources not authorised to speak publicly on Wednesday said the club didn’t want to risk him causing more damage in the final games of the season, resulting in Gutherson taking no further part in the club’s 2026 campaign.

It’s a bitter blow for the veteran fullback, widely acknowledged as one of the NRL’s greatest competitors. Daniel Atkinson will wear the No. 1 jersey on Saturday night against Canterbury at Allianz Stadium after filling in at fullback for Gutherson against the Wests Tigers on Sunday. Gutherson is a big fan of the former Shark who has been forced to deal with regular criticism following a tough first season in the Red V.

“He always goes after the game,” Gutherson said of Atkinson on Tuesday. “He’s been hard done by this year with what people have said about him – he’s definitely been on the rollercoaster – and I made sure I reached out to him after Sunday’s game to let him know how happy I was for him.

“He put himself in position for that final pass, caught every bomb – the most confidence we’ve had all year has been the last month, and Atko didn’t miss a beat. He was great.”

Atkinson was seen as a successor to fullback Will Kennedy at Cronulla before he inked a three-year deal with the Dragons. He spent time in the halves most of the year before being dropped to the interchange, only to be a late call-up for Gutherson against the Tigers.

Where Atkinson fits into the squad next year remains a big question, with Luke Metcalf (Warriors) and Kodi Nikorima (Dolphins) recruited. Gun Cowboy Scott Drinkwater will be given first shot at fullback in 2027.

Dragons coach Dean Young said Atkinson did “an incredible job” at late notice against the Tigers. “He only trained there for our main session, then the captain’s run. His preparation to play that role wasn’t great; I couldn’t be happier with him on the weekend.”

Guler’s NRL career, meanwhile, has likely come to an end. The former Canberra prop signed a three-year contract with Wakefield beginning next year, but has asked for - and received - permission to head to England immediately.

Wakefield, sitting in fourth place on the Super League ladder, are keen to add Guler to its pack for its finals charge. The Dragons didn’t want to stand in his way and Guler will depart for England in coming days.

Guler informed his teammates of the decision on Wednesday morning.

A third straight win for the Dragons, who can still avoid the wooden spoon, will end the September hopes of the Dogs.

In other team news, Harry Grant (hamstring) returns for Melbourne against Penrith, who welcome back NSW centre Casey McLean (hand).

Tom Trbojevic (hamstring) returns for Manly away to Newcastle on Saturday, while Latrell Mitchell was named on the extended bench for South Sydney’s match against the Warriors.