Traffic movement around KBR National Park was smoother on Wednesday, the second day of the new one-way system, with lower vehicle volumes, fewer bottlenecks and motorists gradually adapting to the diversions.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Joel Davis said traffic volume was 5-10% lower than on Tuesday, while 60-70% of motorists were merging smoothly into the diverted traffic streams.
“Today was very smooth, volume-wise. There was no commotion or jam today,” Mr. Davis said. The traffic police increased signage at key points and deployed public service announcements (PSAs) at several junctions to guide motorists. Officers were also moved to locations where congestion developed during the day.
Around 400-450 traffic personnel were deployed, not only around KBR Park but also at a second layer of junctions surrounding the park, he said. Many motorists had also hit the road earlier than their usual time, helping traffic disperse more evenly.
For some commuters, the new system meant a change in routine. Prakash Soni, who travels from Begumpet to Madhapur, said he had left home earlier in anticipation of delays. “The system was actually seamless. There is a longer route but there was no waiting time,” he said.
For others, the transition was less intuitive. Trilok Kumar, who joined work on Wednesday, said he was taken by surprise by the diversions. “My muscle memory was strong with the turnings. Cops had to halt and explain the new system. Time will tell how useful it is,” he said.
Some motorists have already opted to avoid the area altogether. A woman travelling towards Jubilee Hills said she was now taking a different route through Srinagar Colony to bypass KBR Park. “I can’t be making these rounds every day,” she said.
The smoother flow was also reflected in commuter discussions online. A Reddit user travelling from Punjagutta towards Raidurg reported a “huge improvement” over the two days, with no major stoppages between the KBR Park signal and Jubilee Hills Check Post, though the new arrangement had increased the distance and travel time.
Another commuter reported a sharp difference between the two days, saying a journey from L.V. Prasad Eye Hospital to Road No. 36 had taken an hour on Tuesday but only about 15 minutes on Wednesday. The commuter said motorists appeared to be getting a better understanding of the new entry and exit points.
In another discussion on Wednesday, commuters described the traffic as “much better than day 1”, with users saying motorists were gradually getting used to the new system. One commuter said the journey from Paradise to Hitec City took about 30 minutes, while another described traffic from Panjagutta towards the Cable Bridge as “smooth”.
Mr. Davis said officers would continue to be deployed at choking points through the day as traffic patterns settle. Before the one-way system was introduced, Road No. 2 towards Jubilee Hills Check Post used to remain congested, he said.
The traffic police are continuing to monitor movement around the park and surrounding junctions as motorists adjust to the new arrangements.
Published - August 19, 2026 09:20 pm IST