His wife, Nadiia Verves, told a Ukrinform correspondent about this.

“Before the full-scale war, Oleh worked for a security firm in the Kyiv region. In 2022, he received draft notices twice, but both times he was sent back from Regional Center for Recruitment and Social Support. The third notice arrived on his birthday, May 17, 2022, and that’s when he was mobilized,” she said.

According to her, her husband initially served in the repair company of the 260th Artillery Brigade named after General-Horunzhy Roman Dashkevych, and was later transferred to an assault battalion attached to the 110th Separate Mechanized Brigade named after General-Horunzhy Mark Bezruchko.

On July 26, 2024, the soldier was taken prisoner in the Pokrovsk sector.

“My husband didn’t get in touch. His commander said he was at his post, but my intuition told me that Oleh was a prisoner of war. At first, I found information on social media that he had been captured, and in April 2025, this was officially confirmed,” his wife said.

The woman learned from social media that her husband was being held in Orsk, Russia. This was later confirmed by Oleh’s comrades who were returning from captivity.

“I know that Oleh was captured with a wounded arm. Over these two years, I’ve received only one letter from him,” the woman said.

Read also:Soldier from Zhytomyr region who defended Ukraine since

ATO/JFO returns from Russian captivity

She was at work when she found out that her husband had returned to Ukraine as part of a prisoner exchange. She has already spoken with him.

“I’m overwhelmed with emotion. I can’t even put it into words. Our four children were eagerly awaiting Oleh’s return. We already have two grandchildren,” Nadiia noted.

As reported by Ukrinform, President Volodymyr Zelensky announced that 103 Ukrainian servicemen had been released from Russian captivity.

Photo courtesy of Nadiia Verves