According to Ukrinform, the Federal Department of Justice and Police (FDJP) said this in a press release.

"There is still no sign of lasting stabilization in the situation in Ukraine. Status S for people from Ukraine seeking protection will therefore be extended to 4 March 2028. […] In addition, protection status S will be restricted for certain further groups of people from 20 August," the statement said.

Status S will now be granted only to people who comply with their military obligations to Ukraine.

The new rule applies to all new applications submitted from August 20. It will not affect people who were granted temporary protection status previously.

Among other things, From March 2027, the first Ukrainians to seek protection in Switzerland will have been here for five years.

The Asylum Act provides that persons in need of protection are entitled, after five years, to a residence permit (B permit) linked to protection status S.

If protection status S is revoked, these residence permits will automatically cease to be valid.

The permits are granted by the cantonal authorities and do not require approval from the State Secretariat for Migration.

Read also:EU countries extend temporary protection for Ukrainians through March 2028

In July 2026, EU countries agreed to extend temporary protection for Ukrainian citizens until March 4, 2028, while narrowing the scope of protection to people who can confirm that they are not violating their military obligations to the state.

Photo: Office of the President of Ukraine