Boat operators in Kozhikode district have been directed to strictly adhere to safety norms during the Onam holidays, with the Beypore Port of Registry under the Kerala Maritime Board (KMB) warning of stringent action against violation of official guidelines.
The latest order from the Senior Port Conservator said boats should not be operated for tourism purposes without valid registration, survey and insurance certificates, and other statutory documents. Boat owners and crew should ensure that all passengers wear quality life jackets meeting prescribed standards, the order said.
Only qualified personnel should be allowed to operate pleasure trips. The number of passengers carried should not exceed the permitted capacity, which should be displayed in both English and Malayalam for the awareness of tourists.
Operators have been asked to check the safety and operational fitness of boats before every trip and ensure the availability of adequate safety equipment and lifebelts. Services should be within the permitted operating zones, KMB officials said.
Boat operators and passengers have also been asked to ensure that no waste materials are discarded into waterbodies. According to KMB sources, there will be flash inspections to check boat operators’ compliance with the guidelines. The regulations will be equally applicable for those who conduct regional boat races.
In a flash inspection conducted last year, KMB enforcement squads had exposed a few illegal boat operators in Kozhikode district who failed to renew the mandatory registration or store the emergency rescue equipment. A total fine of ₹1.30 lakh had then been collected from the violators to compound the offence.
Published - August 20, 2026 09:15 pm IST