Poland's foreign ministry has summoned Israel's ambassador in Warsaw, expressing that it was "very disappointed" after Israel decided against pursuing criminal proceedings over a 2024 attack on a volunteer convoy in Gaza that killed a Polish citizen.

Damian Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven individuals working for celebrity chef Jose Andres' World Central Kitchen who died in the April 2024 central Gaza airstrike, an incident that prompted an international outcry.

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland is very disappointed to receive the information provided on August 19, 2026, about the discontinuation of the proceedings," the ministry said in a statement late on Thursday.

It said the Israeli Ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned to the ministry.

"The Polish side provided a critical assessment of the actions taken to date to clarify the causes and course of the tragedy, informed that a parallel investigation is being conducted by the District Prosecutor's Office in Przemysl," it said.

It also "expressed its expectation that the Israeli side will provide the relevant Polish authorities with all necessary explanations and materials requested by Polish investigators."

Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki told public radio PR1 on Friday that "we consider this a surprising decision."

"We believe that the use of force must be proportionate, and that inappropriate use of force should have consequences, so we expect clarification on this matter," he said.

On Thursday Australia’s foreign minister also said she is “outraged” over Israel’s decision not to pursue criminal proceedings that also killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom.

Penny Wong, who met Israel’s ambassador to Australia for talks on Thursday, said: “The Australian government learned of Israel’s decision late last night, moments before it was announced, on World Humanitarian Day – which is especially insulting to Zomi’s loved ones, humanitarians and all Australians.

“Zomi represented the best of Australia. Her courage deserves to be celebrated. Her family deserves justice.”

More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023.

Israel's military says its attacks target Hamas militants. It has said it opens investigations into some attacks involving civilian deaths.