A public affairs analyst and civil society advocate, Mohammed Kudu, has said the Nigerian aviation sector needs to remain safe amid the ongoing workers’ crisis.
He made this known in a statement on Friday.
Recall that last week, striking workers disrupted operations at the Abuja Airport, leading to the cancellation of passenger flights.
The Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, in a statement by its Director-General, Capt Chris Ona Najomo, had intervened and appealed to all parties to embrace dialogue.
The Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, SAN, had also summoned a meeting to resolve the crisis.
Reacting to the seemingly escalating crisis in the country’s aviation sector, Kudu charged the Federal Government to ensure that all stakeholders in the industry collaborate to find an amicable solution to the crisis.
“From safety oversight and consumer protection to regulatory predictability and efforts to attract investment into aircraft acquisition, there are clear indications of an administration working to improve the operating environment.
“The aviation industry needs a collaborative approach at this stage. Stakeholders have every right to raise concerns and demand accountability, but such engagement should be constructive and directed towards solutions.
“We believe the reforms being pursued by the administration are in the interest of the travelling public, and the long-term development of Nigerian aviation must remain greater than individual or institutional disagreements,” Kudu said.
“We call on all stakeholders to sheath their swords and allow the positive steps being taken by the administration to cascade into meaningful gains for the country.
“Nigeria needs an aviation sector that is safe, efficient, competitive and capable of supporting economic growth,” he stated