NAN - Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Sunday ordered state agencies to speed up flood recovery, compensation payments and infrastructure repairs in Nan and other flood-affected provinces, while maintaining heightened monitoring for further flooding and landslides during the remainder of the rainy season.
Chairing a flood-monitoring meeting in Nan attended by cabinet ministers and the governors of 37 northern and northeastern provinces, Mr Anutin said state agencies must move quickly to restore damaged communities while remaining prepared for renewed heavy rain.
The prime minister instructed officials to accelerate damage assessments, compensation payments and repairs to homes, roads, bridges, electricity and water systems. He also ordered agencies to strengthen flood forecasting, mapping and public-warning systems, and called on the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) to improve information-sharing technology and develop more modern tools for delivering updates to residents.
“Once we know where floodwaters are heading, people must be informed immediately. Don't wait until the water arrives," Mr Anutin said.
"Residents need time to move their belongings, relocate vehicles and, most importantly, evacuate vulnerable people from high-risk areas."
Although flood conditions have improved in many areas, Mr Anutin said authorities could not afford to become complacent. Fresh flash floods and landslides could stilll occur in parts of the North.
Mr Anutin also praised Deputy Prime Minister Yodchanan Wongsawat, who chairs the committee overseeing flood and drought prevention and response in the North, for quickly travelling to affected areas and coordinating relief efforts with relevant agencies.
He said Mr Yodchanan had overseen operations on behalf of the government from the early stages of the crisis and worked closely with ministers and local authorities to manage the situation.
He also wanted closer monitoring of rainfall and upstream runoff, particularly in high-risk areas, and said the government would use lessons from the recent floods to improve long-term flood-prevention measures.
- Compensation payments -
Nan governor Chainarong Wongyai said floodwaters had receded across the province and recovery operations were now focused on cleaning homes, roads and public areas damaged by mud and debris.
Personnel, machinery and equipment from multiple agencies, including the military, had been deployed to the worst-affected districts, including Pua, Tha Wang Pha, Muang Nan, Phu Phiang and Wiang Sa.
He expected major cleanup work to be completed in four or five days.
The governor said the first round of compensation would be paid between Aug 30 and Sept 1. Affected households would receive 6,700 baht to cover essential items such as bedding, clothing and kitchen equipment damaged by the floods.
A second round of assistance for damaged homes woud follow after engineers complete detailed assessments. At least 30 engineers from the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning were assisting local survey teams.
- Businesses reopen as water recedes -
Floodwaters have drained from Nan municipality, with the Nan River now flowing almost four metres below its banks, signalling a marked improvement from the flood's peak.
Municipal workers have been clearing mud and debris from streets and low-lying riverside communities, where thick layers of silt remain after the floods.
Markets, shops and roadside businesses have gradually reopened, with commercial activity returning to many parts of the city.