At least one fresh allegation of sexual assault and multiple claims of sexual conduct without consent have been made by the three women at the centre of an investigation involving Sydney Swans players at the Pullman East Melbourne.

They come as police were alerted to the potential existence of a recording relating to the events at the hotel in the early hours of last Monday.

The new allegation from the woman represented by Jackson Pannam of Slater & Gordon, is that she was the victim of “multiple sexual assaults”.

Allegations against multiple men

The other two women are being represented by firm Carbone Lawyers. Multiple sources close to those women with knowledge of the matter, but not authorised to speak publicly, told this masthead they had alleged to police that they were subjected to conduct of a sexual nature beyond what was agreed to with multiple men. The statements will form part of the police investigations into potential criminal conduct.

Slater & Gordon said the sexual assaults alleged by its client were reported to Victoria Police, who have maintained to date they are investigating “a report of a sexual assault”.

The three women were engaged as topless waitresses to entertain the players and their friends during a night of partying following the team’s victory over Essendon at the MCG in round 23.

When asked specifically by this masthead on Sunday whether the investigation was broadened to include two of the women’s separate allegations of sexual conduct without consent, a Victoria Police spokesperson said, “we have nothing further to add”.

This masthead is not suggesting that any of the men in the room engaged in conduct of a sexual nature without consent, only that it has been alleged.

“We are not providing ongoing commentary around this investigation,” a police spokeswoman said.

A reported recording

Two AFL industry sources, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed that the Swans passed details of the potential recording to the police via the AFL after a person contacted the club claiming to have information that could be relevant to the investigation.

This masthead does not claim to know whether the recording exists or what information it may contain, only that a person contacted the club about its existence before their details were referred to police.

The Swans have confirmed five of their players – Issac Heeney, Nick Blakey, Chad Warner, Riley Bice and James Jordon – were in the hotel room in the early hours of August 17. The players have been banned by their club for breaching its behavioural standards, for which they apologised. But a source with knowledge of the situation has previously told this masthead that the players deny any criminal wrongdoing.

Other men, including recently retired Swans player Taylor Adams, were also in the room. Adams has not responded to requests for comment by this masthead.

It is not clear which men the allegations are about.

The AFL integrity unit steps back from making inquiries about such matters to let the police investigation run its course. Police have not yet interviewed the five suspended players.

Each of the women last week made statements to Victoria Police outlining their version of events. Victoria Police on Saturday confirmed its investigation was continuing.

“Detectives from the sexual crimes squad continue to investigate a report of a sexual assault in East Melbourne on 17 August,” a police statement read.

“The exact circumstances of the matter are still being established and a number of people have been spoken to.”

The police investigation

Carbone Lawyers said on Friday that it was preparing to launch legal action in the Supreme Court of Victoria against the five players and the club.

The lawyer representing the two women who alleged sexual conduct without consent told this masthead that the legal proceedings would be launched in the Common Law Division of the Victorian Supreme Court, with the women set to claim damages for pain and suffering, psychological injury and economic loss.

“We are currently investigating the circumstances and preparing to commence legal proceedings against the club and potentially the individuals involved,” Manny Carbone, a partner at Carbone Lawyers, said.

“Our clients are extremely traumatised and feel that their dignity and personal rights have been seriously violated by the events of Monday.”

The Swans have denied there were any other club officials or staff members in the hotel room.

This masthead has previously reported that two sources familiar with the police investigation, but not authorised to speak publicly, confirmed drugs were involved in the early morning incident.

However, both said the Swans teammates had denied being responsible for the drugs being there or taking them.