The Cockroach Janta Party (CJP) will convene a meeting of its national working committee on Monday (August 24, 2026) to review the status of the commitments made by the Centre following the withdrawal of its nationwide agitation on July 25. The outfit stated that the government is yet to formally communicate the steps being taken to fulfil the assurances.
The CJP said it will consider all steps to secure fulfilment of the commitments, including the possibility of launching another peaceful nationwide agitation.
“The CJP called off its agitation in good faith because the government gave its word to the young people of this country,” it said, adding that it would not allow that “good faith” to be mistaken for “weakness”.
The CJP also asked students, young citizens, its supporters and volunteers to remain prepared for the outcome of the Monday (August 24) meeting.
‘FIRs list not provided’
The announcements came days after the Supreme Court sought a consolidated list of FIRs registered against students and protesters across the country on August 18.
The CJP noted that the top court asked the Centre thrice to provide the list so that it could consider exercising its powers under Article 142 to quash the cases. “Despite the court repeatedly asking for this list, the Union government did not commit to providing it,” the CJP said.
The outfit stated that immediately after the court hearing, its co-convener Saurav Das and legal affairs lead Ratna Singh raised concern that the government appeared to be “cheating” the younger generation. The CJP had called off its agitation based on commitments including the withdrawal or quashing of all FIRs, guarantees against future punitive action, and compensation for the families of NEET-UG candidates who died of suicide after the test was cancelled in May due to paper leaks.
The CJP further noted that the government delegation engaged in parleys did not formally reach out to place on record the steps being taken to fulfil written assurances.
The outfit warned against any attempt to “dilute, delay, reinterpret or dishonour” the commitments, stating such actions would be seen as “vishwasghaat” (betrayal) of the country’s youth. The national working committee meeting on Monday (August 24) will assess the situation to decide the next course of action.
The CJP previously called off its agitation on July 25, shortly after the then Education Minister, Dharmendra Pradhan, resigned. The campaign had sought action regarding the NEET paper leak controversy and compensation for deceased victims.
Sanjivini, Society for Mental Health - 011-4076 9002, Monday-Saturday, 10 am -7.30 pm.
Mumbai BMC Mental Health Helpline: 022-24131212 (24x7).
Vandrevala Foundation: 18602662345/18002333330 (24x7)
Published - August 23, 2026 09:02 pm IST