The Duke of Sussex is set to launch a commercial scheme to help former military personnel.
Harry was speaking to veterans in Washington on Wednesday amid reports he and the Duchess of Sussex plan to move back to Britain with their children.
He told the former service members and defence officials the “world needs more heroes”.
“It’s not about creating more heroes because they already live among us,” he said at the event organised by The Independence Fund, a US organisation which helps severely wounded veterans.
“It’s about being able to really value their expertise, their experiences.”
The duke, who served in the Army, said military skills were not being utilised in civilian life and he was looking at a “commercial” solution which he said would value “those who served rather than expect them to volunteer”.
He said there was a need for “moral leadership” and expressed concerns about politics and technology, where he said a “very, very small group of people are making decisions that are impacting the entire world”.
“What we need is the younger generation coming into leadership who perhaps see the world slightly differently,” he said.
“And I think a little less testosterone might do as well.”
Harry and Meghan are expected to return to the UK later this month and have already enrolled their children in British schools.
It is understood there will be no change to Harry and Meghan’s role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family.
The King was made aware on Sunday that the Duke and Duchess plan to return to live in the UK, and is said to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family in a personal capacity.
Harry’s legal battles have been a source of friction with his family, however.
He has said he wants to reconcile with his 77-year-old father, who is being treated for an undisclosed form of cancer.
After losing a court battle over his security issue last year, Harry said he hoped to rebuild relations with his family, even as he suggested that the royals had sought to prevent him from receiving police protection to punish him for walking away from royal duties.
“I would love reconciliation with my family. There’s no point in continuing to fight anymore,” Harry told the BBC at the time.
A spokesman for the duke and duchess has yet to comment on the reports of their relocation.